Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cain and Abel

Connected through circumstance at an early age
Sharing car rides and long nights of inebriation and '90's rap
Eventually claiming him as a brother, as I had no siblings of my own
We would laugh at things thought hilarious to us
While others looked on with confused and worried glances
Sharing tears and existentialism
I found support in his perspective, and hoped mine gave him the same
Carried over into young adulthood
When shared space made for uncomfortable but worthwhile experiences
The times when I felt most alone I would reach out to him
Knowing I could count on him through thick and thin
We would drink beer and liquor around the proverbial fire
As the mad string of people changed constantly around us
Even when I felt his actions were harmful to me
I would seek internal forgiveness, to extend to my one true friend
Who knows what it means to truly love someone
But if I've known it at all, I felt it for him
A relationship not given, but grown and harnessed
Shaped and re-shaped, manipulated and adjusted to stand the test
And suddenly broken by cliche and outside influence
Mistakes of mine which I try to fix and reconcile
Mistakes of his which perhaps he doesn't believe in
I'm filled with holes of loss and deep confusion
Now that I have no brother to turn to

No comments: