Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reunion

I go to see a cast of folks I haven't seen in years
There are those I know, and those I don't
There are those I don't care to
I meander around a maze of an old house
Downstairs and then upstairs and then back again
The wood on the old girl is dark and strong
Many memories are kept within the shaky, worn frame
The place is filled to capacity
An odd mix of drinkers and players and awkward wallflowers
I put my small alcoholic contribution in a crowded refrigerator
Returning periodically to slowly refuel
There's talk of a clandestine meeting
Someone's here and wants to see you, I'm told
But I'm not ready for what it requires, so I avoid the whole thing
We end up passing like ships, with just a word spoken between us
Time to take myself outside and get away from it all
Alone, I think of my love back home
And worry that I've drifted too far into the past
Eventually I'm surrounded by the ship and all her sailors
I smoke my cigarette and pretend not to care
A game is played and I toss it high and long
Watching as a cold scavenger plants seeds of later betrayal
Hindsight is, of course, 20/20
At the end of the night, I follow my drunken impulse
Making a short trip I have no business being on
I'm left with a small Japanese earring and no knowledge of what awaits me
Driving away, I realize I left my beer behind
But I'm comforted by the thought of who might drink it

No comments: