Thursday, September 24, 2009

Longshot - Charles Bukowski

she's not for you, man,

she's not your type,

she's erased

she's been used

she's got all the wrong habits,

he told me in between races.


I'm going to bet the 4 horse, I told him.

well, it's only that I'd like to turn her around in mid-stream,

save her, you might say.


you can't save her, he said,

you're 33, you need kindness.

I'm going to bet the 6 horse.

you're not the one to save her.


who can save her? I asked.

I don't think the 6 has a chance, I like the 4.


she needs somebody to beat her from wall to wall, he said,

kick her ass, she'd love it. she'd stay home and wash the dishes.

the 6 horse will be in the running.


I'm no good at beating women, I said.

forget her then, he said.

it's hard to, I said.


he got up and bet the 6 and I got up and bet the 4.

the 5 horse won by 3 lengths at 15 to one.


she's got red hair

like lightening from heaven, I said.


forget her, he said.


we tore up our tickets and stared at the lake in the center of the track.

it was going to be a long afternoon for both of us.

No comments: