Friday, September 25, 2009

Penance

Dark and stormy
The infinite rain is a symphony of splashes
There's a hole in my gut tonight
An evening spent with friends
Just not enough to wipe clean the thoughts
Of her, of them
I drink and I drink, hoping that tonight will be the night
Tonight she'll lose her grip on my heart
Tonight I'll be free of the people who laugh at mercy
I've been poisoned by the best of them
The fangs ran deep into my skin
Releasing their venom into my tainted blood
Time is apparently the only antidote
But the waiting is monotonous
I still see her shadow in the corner of my eye
I think it's her anyway
Maybe it's the ghost of some other love
An angel perhaps, sent to monitor my penance
Either way, the rain's still coming down hard
Creating an ocean outside my window

No comments: