Sunday, June 7, 2009

Old Stuff: Balance

I'm on my knees
Beside me is a beautifully decorated Christmas tree
Glistening blues and burning reds bursting from the evergreen
In front of me on the ground are two spirals
One blue, one red
The blue spiral speaks of hope and understanding
It swirls and sways like a whirlpool, filling my center with a cool breeze
The red spiral knows only pain and anger
Its frayed edges are dangerous barbs that can cut with the slightest touch
I'm afraid of the red, I recoil from its piercing angles
The blue spins sadness and pulls me closer
The blue protects me from the weight of the red, but one cannot exist without the other
Overwhelmed with fear, I'm compelled to reach out to the red
Its vines grip me and encircle all that I am
My heart is pounding as I know nothing but darkness and redness
Furious, frustrated, terrified, grieving, hatred
I scream
A single blue light forms before me and begins to dance and twirl like a butterfly
Then another, and another
I am surrounded by thousands of tiny blue lights
They bounce and brush across my skin, breaking the blackening vines of my imprisonment
My arms outstretched, they carry me skyward
Through the belly of a rainbow, higher and higher until I touch the end of the universe
The end is clear to me, I can't see past it
The lights then bring me back, I'm on my knees again, tears streaming down my face
The blue and red spirals spin into one another and disappear, leaving nothing but their images in my memory
Beside me is a Christmas tree decorated all in black

No comments: