Sunday, June 7, 2009

Old Stuff: Nature Show

I stood before the lake for what seemed like hours undisturbed. The fish leapt higher and higher as the day grew long, never reaching the sun that comfortably cooked them to perfection. From the corner of my eye, I saw a shape. Large and bulky, the beast lumbered into view, emerging from the surrounding woodland. I was obscured from its view, having crouched behind a thicket of grass. Not frightened, just cautious. The beast moved closer and closer to the water, its brush-like snoot swaying back & forth just on the ground, creating large gusts of breeze and dust. The beast raised its round and mange-covered head, glancing quickly from side to side before thrusting its snoot into the water with a sloppy slurp. It drank its weight, exhaled an ancient heavy breath, and lumbered away. When the beast had its distance, I walked to the bank of the water, hoping to measure the giant footprints left behind. They were huge. Also huge, and lying next to the prints was a pile of shit. Worst I've ever smelled.

No comments: